Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Meet "Pages from the Past" Author JoAnn Arnold



I think it's fascinating when authors reveal where their story ideas come from, and my guest today was inspired by a piece of American history. JoAnn Arnold is the author of "Pages from the Past." Welcome, JoAnn!


Tell us a little about your background and how you became an author.


When I was a little girl I loved to pretend. I think that pretending feeds the imagination allowing you to take the next step. It’s then you find what you want to be.


My first attempt at writing was Roadshow scripts. Then I moved on to writing children’s musicals for the elementary school in Orangeville, where we lived. My first experience in writing a book was as a ghost writer. That made me want to write my own novels.


What is one of your favorite books and why?


I have to say that all my books are my favorites. They each tell their own story. The book I want to talk about today is, “Pages From the Past” It is a story of Patriotic bravery in the high tech world. Two of the main characters in this book are a Golden Retriever named Dorado, 80-year-old Elmira Redding, and her daughter, Betsy, whose husband passed away suddenly. Thus begins the mystery and the adventure that takes them on a path they hadn’t imagined.


What inspired you to write this book?


I read a book on the constitution and I learned that when the signers of the Declaration of Independence had everything in place to introduce their work to the people, they called patriotic men to watch over the constitution, calling them ‘the Watchers of the Constitution.’ The Watchers responsibility was to prevent the constitution from being misinterpreted in any way or to be stepped on.  I thought to myself; if there were watchers back then, maybe there are watchers still today. This was my inspiration.

How would you describe your writing process?


I get an idea then let it grow until I can see a story forming. I don’t outline too often, mostly I let the characters tell the story and I do my best to keep up with them.


How have you marketed your book?


Cedar Fort is my Publisher. They help to get it out in the stores. Many online stores carry my books and I do giveaways on Goodreads. I have done several book signings at Seagull Book and Tape. The SG&T and St. George has been very pleasant to work with. Readers can also buy directly from cedar Fort or they can buy directly from me.


What advice would you give to other authors?


I would tell them if they want to be an author, go for it and never give up. Pres. Monson put it this way, “Fear not, the future is as bright as your faith.” I might add that we learn the greatest lessons from ourselves. We teach ourselves courage or fear. We decide how badly we want to become what is in our heart.


Please provide a favorite excerpt from your book.


Betsy catches her mother with a deep-cleaning facial peel on her face and the conversation covers the reason why she has it on her face.

“I’m doing it as a favor for my beautician. Before she recommends it to any of her other customers, she wants me to test it.” Betsy explains after a full discussion.

“And why you?”

“Because I have the perfect face to try it on: old and wrinkled.”

“Oh, Mother, really. I thought you said that wrinkles are a sign of great wisdom.”

“They are, dear. But we don’t need to strut them in public. It’s best to keep a low profile.”


Even though Betsy is deeply involved in the mystery, she adds humor and wisdom throughout the book. When she wants everyone to pay close attention to what she has to say, she says, “I can’t quote scripture or verse, but what I’m about to tell you goes something like this.”


Where can readers find you and your book?


They can go on-line to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other on-line book stores. They can buy them through Cedar Fort.com. Or, they can buy them directly from me at www.joannarnold.com.



Thank you, Kathy for reviewing “Pages from the Past.” I truly appreciate it.

Thanks, JoAnn! It's been a joy learning more about you and your book. I look forward to reading it!

--KSR Writer

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this opportunity to be interviewed, and to have "Pages from the Past" as a part of the interview. I'm impressed with your blog.

    ReplyDelete